Bali is almost entirely Hindu, with about 90% of its 3.5 million population following Balinese Hinduism, the remaining 10% is made up of Christian, Buddhist and Muslim.

The everyday life of the Balinese is determined by their Hindu religion and the many colourful ceremonies that are necessary to please their gods and maintain a balance in life between good and evil.